- Baggage size must not exceed 62 inches (157 cm) when you total LENGTH + WIDTH + HEIGHT
- Visit Carry-On Baggage to find sizing and requirements for carry-on baggage
- For Delta SkyMiles Medallion Members and Delta SkyMiles® American Express Card Members, your first standard checked bag flies free
- Checked baggage allowance each way price varies by route and fare class
- CAD or EUR base amounts will be charged when exiting Canada or Europe, respectively, and converted to local currency; for itineraries between Europe/India, fees will be converted from EUR into local currency.
- For DL-marketed/G3-operated itineraries flown between Miami and Brasilia (MIA-BSB), Miami and Fortaleza (MIA-FOR), Orlando and Brasilia (MCO-BSB), or Orlando and Fortaleza (MCO-FOR), passengers are subject to GOL’s checked baggage policy which limits Economy passengers to 1 complimentary checked bag; Economy passengers will be responsible for GOL’s $70 2nd checked bag fee.
- All passengers traveling to or from Key West, Florida are limited to one checked bag. This supersedes all exceptions.
- Boxes are accepted as checked baggage to/from Central or South America ONLY if they are in the original, factory-sealed box.
- Exception – Boxes are NOT permitted to/from Brazil, Mexico, and Chile at any time of the year.
- Regional Jet Service — No excess baggage (weight, size, or piece) will be accepted on Delta Connection® or other regional jet flights to/from cities in Mexico.
- Weight restrictions at no extra charge vary by cabin. Basic Economy, Main Cabin, and Delta Premium Select passengers should follow the standard 50 lb limit per piece. Delta One, First, and Business passengers should follow the 70 lb limit per piece.
- First bag fee does not apply in the following markets if traveling to/from the United States and Canada: PTY, SAL
- Additionally, lower fees may apply depending on your date of purchase. See previous checked fees.
Baggage Rules & Fee Exceptions
Find more information about baggage, restricted or prohibited items and exceptions for Active Military and Medallion Members. All baggage fees listed are current and applicable for all ticketing on or after today when Delta's baggage rules are determined to apply. If you ticketed at a much earlier date, please refer to Delta's previous checked baggage page for more details.
MEDALLION MEMBER & DELTA SKYMILES AMEX CARD MEMBER BAGGAGE
We’re thankful for your loyalty. Review the complete policy for bags allowed for Medallion members and Delta SkyMiles American Express Card members.
PROHIBITED OR RESTRICTED ITEMS
For the safety of all passengers, review what items are restricted or completely banned from Delta flights.
Flight Partner Baggage
SAME DAY TRAVEL CHANGES
Most fares for domestic travel on Delta are eligible for same-day flight changes. Some tickets don’t offer change eligibility, such as international travel and Basic Economy (E) fares.
SAME DAY FLIGHT CHANGES
If there is space available in the fare class you originally purchased, you may be able to select the Same Day Change check-in option and pay a $75 Same Day Change Fee to confirm a seat on a new flight. This fee does not apply to Delta Gold, Platinum and Diamond Medallion Members.
SAME DAY FLIGHT STANDBY
At the time of your change request, you may be able to select this option for a standby seat on a new flight. You won’t lose your seat on your original flight or pay the $75 Same Day Standby Fee unless your standby seat clears. This fee is waived for Delta Gold, Platinum and Diamond Medallion Members.
STANDARD FLIGHT CHANGES
Based on the fare rules, you may have to pay a service fee and/or a difference in fare. Please note that some tickets cannot be changed, such as Basic Economy (E) fares. Please check your ticket for details.
DOMESTIC FLIGHT CHANGES
For travel within the 50 United States, Canada, Puerto Rico and the U.S. Virgin Islands, the fee is $200 for Delta-marketed flights. For tickets purchased on or after August 31, 2020 for travel within the U.S. (including Puerto Rico and the U.S. Virgin Islands), the change fee is $0. Basic Economy tickets cannot be changed at any time.
INTERNATIONAL FLIGHT CHANGES
For travel outside the United States, Canada, Puerto Rico, and the U.S. Virgin Islands, the change fee for Delta-marketed flights is typically $200 to $500, but can vary based on location and type of fare. Changes are usually permitted only to the return portion of an international itinerary.
For Delta tickets purchased on or after December 9, 2020 for travel originating from North America and for travel between the U.S. and Mexico or The Caribbean, the change fee is $0 (including flights operated by joint venture and codeshare partners). Basic Economy tickets cannot be changed at any time.
HOW THE CHANGE FEE WORKS
- If you want to make a change, check your original ticket for specific fare rules regarding change fees
- Pay the price difference between your original ticket cost and the new fare
- Pay the change fee each way according to your flight destination
- Receive confirmation for your new flight that fits your schedule
AWARD TICKET & MILEAGE UPGRADE CHANGES
Award Tickets and mileage upgrades must be canceled at least 72 hours prior to originating flight departure time to redeposit the miles. Award Tickets must be reissued at least 72 hours prior to scheduled departure time. Miles for Award Travel are nonrefundable for flights canceled or changed within 72 hours of the original flight departure time. Changes to outbound flight(s) must be made 72 hours prior to departure. The Award change fee is $150 per person. Please note that Award Tickets booked within 72 hours of departure are nonrefundable and cannot be redeposited or changed.
The change fee is $0 and the ticket can be changed any time prior to departure for the following Award Tickets:
- Delta tickets booked on or after August 31, 2020, for travel within the U.S. (including Puerto Rico and the U.S. Virgin Islands),
- Delta tickets booked on or after December 9, 2020, for travel originating from North America to anywhere in the world.
- Delta tickets booked on or after December 9, 2020, for travel between U.S. or Mexico and The Caribbean
Basic Economy Award travel tickets cannot be changed at any time.
REDEPOSIT OF MILES FOR AWARD TICKETS/MILEAGE UPGRADES
If you want to redeposit unused miles to your account, pay a $150 Redeposit Fee. This fee also applies when you change your award travel but does not apply to Delta Platinum and Diamond Medallion members.
The redeposit fee is $0 as long as the ticket is canceled prior to departure for the following Award Tickets:
Delta tickets booked on or after August 31, 2020, for travel within the U.S. (including Puerto Rico and the U.S. Virgin Islands),
Delta tickets booked on or after December 9, 2020, for travel originating from North America to anywhere in the world.
Delta tickets booked on or after December 9, 2020, for travel between U.S. or Mexico and The Caribbean
Basic Economy Award travel tickets cannot be canceled at any time.
The unaccompanied minor program provides an employee escort and amenities for children traveling alone between the ages of 5 to 14; or 15 to 17 with guardian request. For a $150 fee each way, up to 4 children will be supervised by Delta staff as they travel. Focused on safety, the program gives each child a barcoded wristband scanned at each location and children receive access to Delta Sky Zone lounges for unaccompanied minors, where available.
INFANT IN ARMS
Traveling with a child under two years of age? It’s free to hold an infant in your arms or in an FAA-approved travel harness on flights in the U.S. & Canada. For international flights only, it is 10% of the cost of an adult fare.
We know the furry members of your family matter too. That’s why Delta allows small dogs, cats and household birds (limited to the U.S.) to travel with you in the cabin on your flight in an approved carrier for a fee. For our most up to date fees by region, please visit our Pet Travel Options page. Size and other restrictions apply. Travel options and exceptions for service animals, U.S. Military personnel and other special cases are also available.
Direct Ticketing & Fee Updates
We offer a direct ticketing service for customers who wish to purchase their tickets over the phone through Reservation Sales or in person at airports and other ticket office locations. A Direct Ticketing international charge applies to tickets issued in Austria, Belgium, Denmark, Finland, Germany, Ireland, Italy, Luxemburg, Netherlands, Norway, Portugal, Spain, Sweden and the UK. The service is complimentary for all other points of origin.
$25 - $35 USD Round trip for tickets issued in select European countries
This fee will be waived for phone reservations on request.
FREE for all other points of origin.
Most domestic Delta airport locations are designated "cashless stations" and do not accept cash from customers. Customers without an accepted form of payment may elect to purchase a Visa gift pre-paid credit payment card from a kiosk provided by a third-party vendor for a nominal fee.
Please see the list of included airports.
Delta does not sell baggage in advance through third parties, including travel agencies. Any third party charging a fee for any kind of checked baggage (or special items like sporting equipment) for travel on Delta is not authorized to do so.