- Baggage size must not exceed 62 inches (158 cm) when you total LENGTH + WIDTH + HEIGHT
- Visit Carry-On Baggage to find sizing and requirements for carry-on baggage
- For Delta SkyMiles Medallion Members and Delta SkyMiles® American Express Card Members, your first standard checked bag flies free
- Checked baggage allowance each way price varies by route and fare class
- CAD or EUR base amounts will be charged when exiting Canada or Europe, respectively, and converted to local currency; for itineraries between Europe/India, fees will be converted from EUR into local currency.
- For DL-marketed/G3-operated itineraries flown between Miami and Brasilia (MIA-BSB), Miami and Fortaleza (MIA-FOR), Orlando and Brasilia (MCO-BSB), or Orlando and Fortaleza (MCO-FOR), passengers are subject to GOL’s checked baggage policy which limits Economy passengers to 1 complimentary checked bag; Economy passengers will be responsible for GOL’s $70 2nd checked bag fee.
- All passengers traveling to or from Key West, Florida are limited to one checked bag. This supersedes all exceptions.
- Boxes are accepted as checked baggage to/from Central or South America ONLY if they are in the original, factory-sealed box.
- Exception – Boxes are NOT permitted to/from Brazil, Mexico, and Chile at any time of the year.
- Regional Jet Service — No excess baggage (weight, size, or piece) will be accepted on Delta Connection® or other regional jet flights to/from cities in Mexico.
- Weight restrictions at no extra charge vary by cabin. Basic Economy, Main Cabin, and Delta Premium Select passengers should follow the standard 50 lb limit per piece. Delta One, First, and Business passengers should follow the 70 lb limit per piece.
- First bag fee does not apply in the following markets if traveling to/from the United States and Canada: PTY, SAL
- Additionally, lower fees may apply depending on your date of purchase. See previous checked fees.
Baggage Rules & Fee Exceptions
Find more information about baggage, restricted or prohibited items and exceptions for Active Military and Medallion Members. All baggage fees listed are current and applicable for all ticketing on or after today when Delta's baggage rules are determined to apply. If you ticketed at a much earlier date, please refer to Delta's previous checked baggage page for more details.
MEDALLION MEMBER & DELTA SKYMILES AMEX CARD MEMBER BAGGAGE
We’re thankful for your loyalty. Review the complete policy for bags allowed for Medallion members and Delta SkyMiles American Express Card members.
PROHIBITED OR RESTRICTED ITEMS
For the safety of all passengers, review what items are restricted or completely banned from Delta flights.
Flight Partner Baggage
SAME DAY TRAVEL CHANGES
Most fares for domestic travel on Delta are eligible for same-day flight changes. Some tickets don’t offer change eligibility, such as international travel and Basic Economy (E) fares.
SAME DAY FLIGHT CHANGES
If there is space available in the fare class you originally purchased, you may be able to select the Same Day Change check-in option and pay a $75 Same Day Change Fee to confirm a seat on a new flight. This fee does not apply to Delta Gold, Platinum and Diamond Medallion Members.
SAME DAY FLIGHT STANDBY
At the time of your change request, you may be able to select this option for a standby seat on a new flight. You won’t lose your seat on your original flight or pay the $75 Same Day Standby Fee unless your standby seat clears. This fee is waived for Delta Gold, Platinum and Diamond Medallion Members.
STANDARD FLIGHT CHANGES
For all tickets purchased on/after March 31, 2021 in order for you to keep the value of your ticket, be sure to cancel or make changes prior to departure. Based on the fare rules, you may have to pay a change fee and/or a difference in fare. Basic Economy tickets cannot be changed or canceled unless the ticket falls within the COVID-19 travel waivers or the 2021 Basic Economy Changeability Waiver. Please check your ticket for details.
DOMESTIC FLIGHT CHANGES
For travel within the 50 United States, Canada, Puerto Rico and the U.S. Virgin Islands, purchased on or after August 31, 2020 for travel within the U.S. (including Puerto Rico and the U.S. Virgin Islands), the change fee is $0. For tickets purchased before August 31, 2020, the fee is $200 for Delta-marketed flights. Basic Economy tickets cannot be changed or canceled unless the ticket falls within the COVID-19 travel waivers or the 2021 Basic Economy Changeability Waiver.
INTERNATIONAL FLIGHT CHANGES
For international tickets purchased on or after December 9, 2020 for travel originating within North America, the change fee for Delta-marketed flights is $0. For international tickets purchased on or after December 9, 2020 originating within North America and for travel between the Caribbean and the U.S. and Mexico, there will be no change fee. Basic Economy tickets cannot be changed or canceled unless the ticket falls within the COVID-19 travel waivers or the 2021 Basic Economy Changeability Waiver. For tickets purchased before December 9, 2020, a change fee of $200 to $500 will apply.
For international tickets for travel originating outside of North America*, a change fee of $200 to $500 will apply. Basic Economy tickets are non-refundable and non-changeable in most cases.
*Travel between the Caribbean and the U.S. or Mexico purchased on or after December 9, 2020 has no change fee unless it is a Basic Economy ticket which is non-refundable and non-changeable in most instances after the expiration of our Basic Economy Changeability Waiver on 12/31/2021.
HOW THE CHANGE FEE WORKS
- If you want to make a change, check your original ticket for specific fare rules regarding change fees
- Pay the price difference between your original ticket cost and the new fare
- Pay the change fee each way according to your flight destination
- Receive confirmation for your new flight that fits your schedule
AWARD TICKET & MILEAGE UPGRADE CHANGES
We continue to simplify travel by eliminating change fees and redeposit fees for Award Tickets and mileage upgrades for travel within the U.S. (including Puerto Rico and the U.S. Virgin Islands) as well as international travel originating in the U.S. and the Caribbean. Changes can be made any time prior to departure.
For all Award Tickets and mileage upgrades booked prior to August 31, 2020, ticket must be canceled at least 72 hours prior to originating flight departure time to redeposit the miles. Miles for Award Travel are nonrefundable for flights canceled or changed within 72 hours of the original flight departure time. Changes to outbound flight(s) must be made 72 hours prior to departure. The Award change fee is $150 per person. Please note that Award Tickets booked within 72 hours of departure are nonrefundable and cannot be redeposited or changed.
Basic Economy Award travel tickets cannot be changed or canceled at any time.
REDEPOSIT OF MILES FOR AWARD TICKETS/MILEAGE UPGRADES
In addition to eliminating change fees for tickets originating in North America to anywhere in the world,* we have also eliminated the redeposit fee for Award Tickets and mileage upgrades. There are no change fees for travel within the U.S. (including Puerto Rico and the U.S. Virgin Islands), international travel originating in North America and travel between the Caribbean and the U.S. or Mexico.* You may redeposit miles any time prior to departure. Redeposit fees still apply for Award Tickets and mileage upgrades for travel originating in other countries.
Redeposit fees still apply to some Award Travel changes or cancellations which include:
- Delta tickets booked on or before August 31, 2020, for travel within the U.S. (including Puerto Rico and the U.S. Virgin Islands)
- Delta tickets booked on or before December 9, 2020, for travel originating from North America to anywhere in the world
- Delta tickets booked on or before December 9, 2020, for travel between U.S. and Mexico or the Caribbean
The unaccompanied minor program provides an employee escort and amenities for children traveling alone between the ages of 5 to 14; or 15 to 17 with guardian request. For a $150 fee each way, up to 4 children will be supervised by Delta staff as they travel. Focused on safety, the program gives each child a barcoded wristband scanned at each location and children receive access to Delta Sky Zone lounges for unaccompanied minors, where available.
INFANT IN ARMS
Traveling with a child under two years of age? It’s free to hold an infant in your arms or in an FAA-approved travel harness on flights in the U.S. & Canada. For international flights only, it is 10% of the cost of an adult fare.
We know the furry members of your family matter too. That’s why Delta allows small dogs, cats and household birds (limited to the U.S.) to travel with you in the cabin on your flight in an approved carrier for a fee. For our most up to date fees by region, please visit our Pet Travel Options page. Size and other restrictions apply. Travel options and exceptions for service animals, U.S. Military personnel and other special cases are also available.
Direct Ticketing & Fee Updates
We offer a direct ticketing service for customers who wish to purchase their tickets over the phone through Reservation Sales or in person at airports and other ticket office locations. A Direct Ticketing international charge applies to tickets issued in Austria, Belgium, Denmark, Finland, Germany, Ireland, Italy, Luxemburg, Netherlands, Norway, Portugal, Spain, Sweden and the UK. The service is complimentary for all other points of origin.
$25 - $35 USD Round trip for tickets issued in select European countries
This fee will be waived for phone reservations on request.
FREE for all other points of origin.
Most domestic Delta airport locations are designated "cashless stations" and do not accept cash from customers. Customers without an accepted form of payment may elect to purchase a Visa gift pre-paid credit payment card from a kiosk provided by a third-party vendor for a nominal fee.
Please see the list of included airports.
Delta does not sell baggage in advance through third parties, including travel agencies. Any third party charging a fee for any kind of checked baggage (or special items like sporting equipment) for travel on Delta is not authorized to do so.