We’re here to help with your instrument, which we do accept as checked baggage, carry-on baggage or even as a piece of baggage that needs a seat to itself — depending on its size and shape — on Delta and Delta Connection® carriers’ flights1, Go to footer note. Please help us to keep your instrument safe by bringing it in a case that meets the Air Transport Association (ATA) 300 required standard.
Examples of ATA Specification 300:
- Category I cases are designed to withstand a minimum of 100 round trips
- Category II containers a minimum of 10 round trips
INSTRUMENTS AS CHECKED BAGS
Musical instruments or equipment can be checked if the total linear dimension (length + width + height) does not exceed 150 inches (381 cm), and provided the weight, including the case, does not exceed 165lbs (75 kg).
Please note: Destination restrictions and limitations may apply. Please see Excess & Overweight Baggage Policy | Delta Air Lines for additional information.
See standard rules and fees for overweight and oversized baggage.
INSTRUMENTS IN THEIR OWN SEAT
You may purchase a full fare ticket for an item that you feel is too fragile to be handled as checked baggage. You may stow the baggage in any passenger seat with a bulkhead or divider in front of the compartment. The following restrictions apply. The item must:
- not exceed 165 lbs (75 kg)
- be packaged or covered in a way to avoid injury to other occupants
- be properly secured by a seatbelt to avoid shifting during flight
- not restrict access to, or use of, any required emergency or regular exits or aisle of the cabin
- not obscure any passenger's view of seatbelt, no smoking or exit signs
- not contain dangerous goods
- be secured in a seat in the same cabin as the owner and preferably next to the owner
Please note: In the event of an aircraft downgrade where we are unable to accommodate a purchased seat for the musical instrument, the passenger and their musical instrument will be re-accommodated on the next available flight.
For pricing information, contact Reservations.
CARRY ON AN INSTRUMENT
Guitars and smaller musical instruments like violins or flutes will be accepted as your free carry-on bag item on Delta and Delta Connection flights1, Go to footer note. Your carry-on must easily fit in the overhead bin or other approved storage locations, in the cabin, based on available space at the time of boarding. Please note, if overhead bin space is limited or if you prefer, you may check your instrument at the gate.