Food & Alcohol Transportation
Though we do allow perishables to be brought as carry-on or checked baggage at your own risk, be sure to transport them using approved materials to keep them fresh.
ALCOHOL OR LIQUOR
Alcohol or liquor is permitted if it’s in your checked baggage or purchased after the security checkpoint for your carry-on, as long as it meets carry-on guidelines and the following:
- Alcohol content may not exceed 140 proof
- Up to 5 liters of alcohol per person between 48 and 140 proof is permitted
- Alcohol under 48 proof is not considered hazardous and is permitted
- Alcohol must be in its original unopened retail packaging to be permitted onboard the plane
- If the alcohol is purchased before going through the security checkpoint, our security rules apply for carry-on or checked baggage.
DRY & WET ICE
Dry ice packages in amounts of 5.5 lbs. (2.5 kg) or less are allowed when used to cool non-hazardous perishables in carry-on or checked baggage. The package must:
- meet carry-on baggage restrictions
- allow the release of carbon dioxide
- state on the package, "Dry Ice" or "Carbon Dioxide Solid"
- specify the net weight of the dry ice material on the packaging
- include the contents being cooled, in writing, on the packaging
If possible, instead of dry ice, we encourage the use of gel packs or similar products to keep frozen perishable items fresh. For more information, you can download the Guidelines to Transport Dry Ice.
Wet ice shipments are not allowed as carry-on baggage, checked baggage or cargo on Delta or Delta Connection® flights.
LIQUID NITROGEN (DRY SHIPPER)
Used for dry-shipping perishable goods, you can check or carry on packaging containing refrigerated liquid nitrogen as long as it is fully-porous material, intended for transport of non-dangerous products and kept at a low temperature in insulated packaging. For more information, review our printable guidelines to transporting refrigerated liquid nitrogen.
MEALS READY TO EAT (MREs)
Unfortunately, Meals Ready to Eat (MREs) are not permitted in checked or carry-on baggage on Delta Air Lines flights.