Flights to Amsterdam, Netherlands (AMS)
Passengers traveling to or through the Netherlands are required to complete and present a Health Screening Form (English/Other Languages, opens in a new window) at the departure gate prior to boarding. Please print and complete this form before arrival at the airport, as copies at the gate will be limited. For more information, visit the Netherlands Ministry of Health, Welfare and Sport, opens in a new window.
Live the #SkyMilesLife
Slide of :
- Canals of Amsterdam Slide 1 of 3: With over 1,500 bridging criss-crossing the canals in the center of the city, this is still one of the best ways to explore Amsterdam.
- Bicycling Across the City Slide 2 of 3: Bicycles are the typical Dutch method of transportation around the city with over 250 miles of bike paths across Amsterdam.
- Dutch Windmills Slide 3 of 3: While windmills used to dot city center, today, plenty of the iconic Dutch landmarks are within easy access of Amsterdam proper.
By tagging photos using #SkyMilesLife, user grants Delta Air Lines a royalty-free, worldwide, perpetual license to display, reproduce and create derivative works. Full terms: Delta.com/SkyMilesLife
Located 9 miles southwest of the center of Amsterdam, the Amsterdam Airport Schipol serves as a major international hub connecting many regional European airports with international destinations. Over 100 airlines serve as carriers at this airport and high passenger traffic led to the airport’s continued growth.
Organized in a unique ‘one-terminal’ concept, the entire airport sits under one roof divided into departure halls and concourses called piers. Departure hall 1 houses piers B and C, departure hall 2 houses piers D and E, departure hall 3 offers piers F, G, H and M. If you stop in, the Rijksmuseum operates an annex in the airport with a small collection of classical and contemporary art.
- The train to the city sits directly below the airport in Schipol Station, where you can purchase a single ticket or reloadable ‘OV-chipkaart’
- Taxis and some shared ride services like Uber offer pick up from the airport, though more passengers take the train
- Hotel shuttle and shared shuttle services are available in the airport’s ground transportation area
- Several rental car companies offer service from the Amsterdam Airport Schipol
People travel to Amsterdam from Europe and throughout the globe. The city’s growing as a tourist hub not just for its renowned nightlife but also as a family-friendly destination filled with history and endless things to do. Selecting what to see can be a challenge, so if possible, take time for a longer stay to savor everything that Amsterdam has to offer.
Art & Culture
Central to Amsterdam, the city’s love of art and culture permeates through centuries from the Dutch Masters to today. See the masters at work at the Rijksmuseum, Van Gogh House or Rembrandt House. Or visit the breathtaking Stedelijk Museum of modern art and design. Also find a variety of other museums, including the Tropenmuseum ethnographic museum and even a museum just for purses.
A large city with historic infrastructure, each Amsterdam neighborhood offers its own own features and attractions. Visit the expansive greenspaces in Westerpark or delight in the diverse Oosterpark, home of trendy clubs and the Tropenmuseum. Wander Amsterdam Centrum in the heart of the city or look for oddities at the shops in Spiegelkwartier. Plan out your visit so you’ll be able to catch it all.
Drinking & Dining
Pull up a chair at a canal-side café, order a koffie verkeerd (or café au lait) and settle in. Dotted with cafés, bars and many different restaurants, you’ll never go hungry in Amsterdam. From Michelin-starred restaurants to casual fare, there’s much to try. Find modern Dutch cuisine, Turkish bakeries, Indonesian tapas, Mediterranean snacks, Persian kababs and much more.
Attire (What to Pack)
Whenever you visit, bring seasonally-appropriate clothing with layers for chillier evenings and mornings. Also pack a raincoat, umbrella and shoes appropriate for Amsterdam’s cobblestone streets.
Similar to U.S. cities on the coast of California, Amsterdam enjoys mild summers and mild winters. Expect summer highs to hit the 70s, with winters dipping in the 30s and 40s. Expect humid temperatures and precipitation throughout the year.