A surprising and complex metropolis, Athens is not only one of the world’s oldest cities, it is also the very essence of everything Greek — from the aroma of spiced lamb to the glistening columns of the Parthenon.
Vacationing to Athens is easy with daily nonstop Delta® flights from:†
- Atlanta, daily March 25 through October 27, 2023
- Boston, seasonally May 8 through October 27, 2023
- New York (JFK), seasonally through March 26, daily beginning March 27, 2023
†Flight routings subject to change without notice.
Stay: Hotel Grande Bretagne, a Luxury Collection Hotel, centrally located in Athens and offers timeless elegance, a fabulous brunch and stunning rooftop views.
Must See: The Acropolis and its crown jewel, the Parthenon, on a Private Athens City Tour Half Day.
Don’t Miss: The beauty of the Greek Islands by taking an Islands of the Saronic Gulf Day Cruise to Hydra, Poros and Aegina.
Do Try: Greek dishes like moussaka (lamb & eggplant in bechamel sauce), souvlaki (grilled meat wrapped in a pita) and baklava (nuts & honey in phyllo dough).
Stay: NJV Athens Plaza Hotel, featuring fashionable decor, sophisticated fine dining and exceptional hospitality.
Must See: A stellar view of the illuminated Acropolis on an Athens By Night Tour.
Don’t Miss: Shopping for leather sandals along the cobblestone streets of the Plaka neighborhood.
Do Try: Greece’s favorite beverage, ouzo, a dry anise-flavored aperitif.
This is just a taste of all you can see, do and try in Athens. Go ahead, start booking a vacation that fits your style perfectly with the freedom to choose from great hotels and exciting tours.
Whether you are a family, couple or friends vacationing together, check out more info below or call our vacation experts at 1-800-800-1504 for assistance and tips!
Slide of :
- The Acropolis Slide 1 of 3: A UNESCO World Heritage Site, the Acropolis and its monuments form the greatest architectural complex of Greek antiquity.
- Plaka Slide 2 of 3: In the shadow of the Acropolis lies the residential area of Plaka, which is the place to go for shopping, dining and nightlife.
- Syntagma Square Slide 3 of 3: Set in the heart of Athens, Syntagma Square is home to the National Garden, Greek Parliament and Tomb of the Unknown Soldier.
Once a powerful city and the birthplace of democracy, theater and Western Civilization, today Athens’ cultural richness and history attracts thousands of tourists every year. Crowned by the majestic columns of the Parthenon, Athens is a perfect destination for history and archeology buffs, as well as nature lovers who will enjoy the city’s charming hillsides and year-round sunny, warm climate. Athens is also the gateway to the stunning islands just off its coast, which are home to some of the world’s most beautiful beaches.
Hike up to the Acropolis — built between 510 and 410 BC — for the best photos and views of the city. Wander around Ancient Agora, the area where Socrates, Plato and Aristotle spent much of their time. Explore the stunning ruins of the Parthenon, Erechtheion and the Temple of Hephaestus. Roam the exhibits housed at the National Archaeological Musuem and the Acropolis Museum. You’ll soon discover few cities rival Athens’ historical importance.
Perched on the southern slopes of the Acropolis, the Makrygianni district is home to luxury hotels and top-notch restaurants. A little further south is one of the city’s most popular neighborhoods, Koukaki. The heart of Athens resides in the most scenic quarter, Plaka, home to cafes and shops that merge into the Monastiraki district that's dotted with flea-markets. West of Monastiraki is the Psiri neighborhood, known for its bars and taverns. A few blocks away is the trendy Gazi neighborhood, known for its nightlife.
Experience all Greece has to offer by adding one of our excursions and tours, including a full-day cruise to three islands in the Saronic Gulf, a day trip to the ancient ruins of Delphi, or an afternoon tour to Cape Sounion, where the white marble pillars of the Temple of Poseidon stand.
Athens is a shopping mecca with every kind of store you can imagine. Popular neighborhoods Plaka and Monastiraki have a large variety of shops, and Ermou Street is the city’s primary fashion shopping street. For bargains, Eolou and Agiou Markou streets have outdoor markets that sell everything from scarves and leather sandals to olive oil and ouzo.
If you’re looking to escape the crowds for a great meal, consider heading to a quiet neighborhood like Koukake, Mets or Pangrati — where locals don’t eat dinner until 9 or 10 p.m. Wherever and whenever you dine, be sure to sample traditional Greek dishes like moussaka (lamb and eggplant in bechamel sauce), souvlaki (skewered grilled lamb, pork or goat wrapped in a pita) and baklava (crushed nuts and honey in phyllo dough).
Delta Vacations vacation packages include round-trip airfare aboard Delta to Athens-Eleftherios Venizelos International Airport (ATH). Vacationing to Athens is easy with daily nonstop Delta® flights from:†
- Atlanta through October 28, 2022, resuming May 8, 2023
- New York (JFK) through October 30, 2022, and seasonally through January 10, 2023, resuming March 9, 2023
- Boston seasonally through October 28, 2022, resuming May 26, 2023
Round-trip transfers from the airport to your hotel via minibus or private car are available for purchase. The Suburban Railway and the Athens Metro offer the quickest and most convenient way of getting into the city from the airport. Car rentals are available for your convenience and give you the freedom to travel whenever and wherever you want.
†Flight routings subject to change without notice.
Europe Themed Vacations
Promotional Code Offer Terms and Conditions
- Purchase any Delta Vacations flight and hotel package from any Delta Vacations origin in the U.S. or Canada to any Delta Vacations destination, by March 31, 2023, for travel anytime.
- At time of reservation, you must refer to promotional code SM300WAYS.
- Offer is valid on reservations that include a minimum of one flight on Delta Air Lines®. Service may be operated by Delta Air Lines®; the Delta Connection® carriers: Endeavor Air, Inc., Republic Airways and SkyWest; Delta Shuttle® carrier: Republic Airways; SkyTeam partners: Aeromexico®, Air Europa, Air France, Airlinair, Air One, Air One City Liner, Bahamasair, BritAir, China Airlines, China Eastern, China Southern, CSA Czech Airlines, KLM and Korean Airlines or codeshare partners: Aerolíneas Argentinas, Aerolitoral dba Aeromexico Connect, CAI Second, Aeromar, Austral Lineas Aereas dba Aerolineas Argentinas, BritAir dba Air France, CAIone, City Jet dba Air France LATAM Airlines Group, LATAM Colombia, LATAM Brazil, LATAM Peru, LATAM Paraguay, LATAM Ecuador, Paranair, Hawaiian Airlines, Hop! Dba Air France, Kenyan Airways, Joon Airlines, KLM CityHopper, Privilege Style, Regional CAE dba Air France, Silver Air, Shanghai Airlines, Transavia Airlines, Travel Service dba China Southern, Virgin Atlantic International, Aer Lingus dba Virgin Atlantic Little Red, VLM Airlines, WestJet, and WestJet Encore; Partners: Air New Zealand, Air Tahiti, ITA Airways, Qantas, Sky Express, Virgin Australia International, Virgin Australia Limited NZ dba Virgin Australia.
- The hotel discount is based on the standard room charges of each of the participating hotels in any Delta Vacations destination.
- Minimum 2-night stay required.
- No minimum purchase amount required. Package purchase includes flight and hotel; or flight, hotel and car rental, plus any optional activities.
- Discount is $25 off bookings of up to $1,499; $100 off bookings of $1,500 - $3,999; $200 off bookings of $4,000 - $6,999 and $300 off bookings of $7,000 or more.
- Maximum discount is $300 off per booking; discount is a percentage of each eligible land component.
- Additional baggage charges for checked luggage may apply, as well as any applicable hotel/resort fees or departure taxes collected by hotel/resort/airport at destination.
- Offer is not applicable to airfare; for groups of 10 or more people; and is not retroactive.
- Must be purchased through Delta Vacations.
- Offer applies to qualified passengers only. Children staying free in room do not qualify for discount.
- Offer will recalculate if modifications are made to the booking.
- Offer does not apply to taxes, fees and carrier-imposed surcharges.
- Offer not valid on existing bookings.
- No refunds will be issued toward offer. Offer has no cash value. Offer void if qualifying booking is canceled.
- Programs and availability may vary. Delta Vacations flight reservations may be made up to 331 days in advance of flight departure.
- Delta Vacations must issue all airline tickets.
- Standard Terms and Conditions apply and are outlined during the booking process; other restrictions may apply.
- Delta Vacations is the final authority on the interpretation of these rules and reserves the right to change these Terms and Conditions without prior notice.
- All SkyMiles Program rules apply. To review the rules, please visit delta.com/memberguide. Delta Vacations airfares will earn Medallion® Qualification Dollars (MQDs – U.S.-based members only) based on fare class and distance flown. Bonus miles do not count toward Medallion Status or Million Miler™ Status. Offers void where prohibited by law. Offers subject to change without notice. Other restrictions may apply.
Promotional code will always be validated and appropriate discount will be deducted if terms and conditions are met.
- Via the Internet:
Enter promotional code SM300WAYS in the Promo Code/eCertificate box on the Booking page.
- Via Customer Engagement Center or Travel Advisor:
At time of reservation, you must refer to promotional code SM300WAYS.