Baggage & Travel Fees
More: Track Checked Baggage | Special Items | Excess & Overweight Baggage | Prohibited or Restricted Items | Delayed, Lost, or Damaged Bags | Embargoes & Limitations | First Checked Bag Free | 20-Minute Bag Guarantee
Track Checked Baggage
Excess & Overweight Baggage
Prohibited or Restricted Items
Delayed, Lost, or Damaged Bags
Embargoes & Limitations
First Checked Bag Free
20-Minute Bag Guarantee
Common Checked Baggage Fees
For travelers in a Main Cabin seat on a flight within the United States, without a Delta SkyMiles® American Express Card, Medallion Status or Active Military exceptions:
For your first standard checked bag under 50 lbs. (23 kg), each way
+1 Free Carry-On Bag and 1 Personal Item
For your second standard checked bag under 50 lbs. (23 kg), each way
- Baggage size must not exceed 62 inches (158 cm) when you total LENGTH + WIDTH + HEIGHT
- Visit Carry-On Baggage to find sizing and requirements for carry-on baggage
- For Delta SkyMiles Medallion Members and Delta SkyMiles® American Express Card Members, your first standard checked bag flies free
- Checked baggage allowance each way price varies by route and fare class
- Customers flying domestically may redeem miles toward checked baggage at most airports during check-in on Delta.com, the Fly Delta app and at the kiosk at the airport
Other Terms & Conditions:
- CAD or EUR base amounts will be charged when exiting Canada or Europe, respectively, and converted to local currency; for itineraries between Europe/India, fees will be converted from EUR into local currency.
- All passengers traveling to or from Key West, Florida are limited to one checked bag. This supersedes all exceptions.
- Boxes are accepted as checked baggage to/from Central or South America ONLY if they are in the original, factory-sealed box.
- Exception – Boxes are NOT permitted to/from Brazil, Mexico, and Chile at any time of the year.
- Regional Jet Service — No excess baggage (weight, size, or piece) will be accepted on Delta Connection® or other regional jet flights to/from cities in Mexico.
- Weight restrictions at no extra charge vary by cabin. Basic Economy, Main Cabin, and Delta Premium Select passengers should follow the standard 50 lb limit per piece. Delta One, First, and Business passengers should follow the 70 lb limit per piece.
- First bag fee does not apply in the following markets if traveling to/from the United States and Canada: PTY, SAL
- Additionally, lower fees may apply depending on your date of purchase. See previous checked fees.
- SkyMiles members with flights originating from most domestic airports can pay for standard checked bags fees with miles instead of paying in cash during check-in on Delta.com, the Fly Delta app and at a kiosk at the airport. Excess and overweight baggage cannot be purchased with miles. Members traveling from qualifying airports will see standard checked bag fees displayed in cash or miles amounts when paying for their checked baggage. Member must have sufficient miles balance to cover all bags checked in the reservation. SkyMiles Program Rules apply.
Baggage Rules & Fee Exceptions
Find more information about baggage, restricted or prohibited items and exceptions for Active Military and Medallion Members. All baggage fees listed are current and applicable for all ticketing on or after today when Delta's baggage rules are determined to apply. If you ticketed at a much earlier date, please refer to Delta's previous checked baggage page for more details.
EXCESS & OVERWEIGHT BAGGAGE
Know how many bags you're allowed to check on your flight, plus the cost to bring excess baggage depending on your destination.
You serve us, and we’re delighted to serve you. Please review the bags allowed for active duty United States military personnel.
MEDALLION MEMBER & DELTA SKYMILES AMEX CARD MEMBER BAGGAGE
We’re thankful for your loyalty. Review the complete policy for bags allowed for Medallion members and Delta SkyMiles American Express Card members.
SPECIAL ITEM REQUIREMENTS
See requirements for fragile items like musical instruments, sporting equipment, medical equipment or more.
PROHIBITED OR RESTRICTED ITEMS
For the safety of all passengers, review what items are restricted or completely banned from Delta flights.
Flight Partner Baggage
SAME–DAY TRAVEL CHANGES
Most fares for domestic travel on Delta are eligible for same-day flight changes. Some tickets don’t offer change eligibility, such as international travel and Basic Economy (E) fares.
If there is space available in the fare class you originally purchased, you may be able to select the Same-Day Change check-in option and pay a $75 Same-Day Change Fee to confirm a seat on a new flight. This fee does not apply to Delta Gold, Platinum and Diamond Medallion Members.
Find Information About Ticket Change Fees
At the time of your change request, you may be able to select this option for a standby seat on a new flight for free. You won’t lose your seat on your original flight unless your standby seat clears.
STANDARD FLIGHT CHANGES
For all tickets purchased on/after March 31, 2021 in order for you to keep the value of your ticket, be sure to cancel or make changes prior to departure. Based on the fare rules, you may have to pay a change fee and/or a difference in fare. Basic Economy tickets cannot be changed. However, you may cancel Basic Economy tickets and a cancellation charge will be deducted from the value of your ticket; remaining value will be issued as an eCredit.
DOMESTIC UNITED STATES AND CANADA FLIGHT CHANGES
For travel within the 50 United States, Canada, Puerto Rico and the U.S. Virgin Islands, the change fee is $0. Basic Economy tickets cannot be changed. However, you may cancel a Basic Economy ticket for travel within the 50 United States, Canada, Puerto Rico and the U.S. Virgin Islands for a cancellation charge of $99 which is deducted from the value of your ticket;* remaining value will be issued as an eCredit.
INTERNATIONAL FLIGHT CHANGES
Tickets Originating Within North, South & Central America & the Caribbean
For international tickets that are Main Cabin or above originating within the United States, Canada and the Caribbean, there is no change fee. Basic Economy tickets cannot be changed in most cases. However, you may cancel a Basic Economy ticket issued for travel originating in the United States or Canada for travel to the Caribbean, Central America and Mexico for a cancellation charge of $99, which is deducted from the value of your ticket. For Basic Economy travel originating in the United States or Canada to any other international destination, the cancellation charge is $199. Please review the change and cancel fees below based on your origin destination and type of ticket. Remember that a fare difference will apply for any ticket changes.
- For travel originating in Mexico for Main Cabin and above tickets, change and cancel fees are $200. Basic Economy tickets cannot be changed or canceled.
- For travel originating in Central America for Main Cabin and above tickets, change and cancel fees are $99 where the destination is the U.S., Canada, Puerto Rico or the U.S. Virgin Islands, and $200 where the destination is anywhere else in the world. Basic Economy tickets cannot be changed, but where the destination is the U.S., Canada, Puerto Rico or the U.S. Virgin Islands, the cancellation charge is $99. For Basic Economy tickets where the destination is anywhere else in the world, the cancellation charge is $199.
- For travel originating in South America for Main Cabin and above tickets, change and cancel fees are $200. Basic Economy tickets originating anywhere in South America cannot be changed, but the cancellation charge is $199.
Tickets Originating Outside of North, South & Central America & the Caribbean
For international tickets for travel originating from a location other than North America, South America, Central America or the Caribbean a change or cancellation fee of $0 to $400 will apply.
The Change and Cancel Waiver is still in effect for flights originating from Asia, Oceania, India and Israel so that customers may continue to change or cancel their flight from these regions without incurring a fee.
Please review the change and cancel fees below based on your origin destination and type of ticket. As a reminder, Basic Economy tickets are non-refundable and non-changeable in most cases, but may be canceled before departure for a cancellation charge. Amounts will vary in international currency. Any remaining value will be issued as an eCredit. Remember that a fare difference will apply for any ticket changes.
- For travel originating in Europe for Main Cabin and above tickets, there are no change and cancel fees. For Basic Economy tickets, the cancellation charge and change fee is €150.
- For travel originating in the United Kingdom for Main Cabin and above tickets, there are no change and cancel fees. For Basic Economy tickets, the cancellation charge and change fee is £150.
- For travel originating in Africa for Main Cabin and above tickets, there are no change or cancel fees. For Basic Economy tickets, the cancellation charge and change fee is $180.
HOW THE CHANGE FEE WORKS
- If you want to make a change, check your original ticket for specific fare rules regarding change fees
- Pay the price difference between your original ticket
- Pay the change fee according to your flight’s origin if applicable
- Receive confirmation for your new flight
AWARD TICKET CHANGES
We continue to simplify travel by eliminating change fees and redeposit fees for Award Tickets and mileage upgrades for travel within the U.S. (including Puerto Rico and the U.S. Virgin Islands) as well as international travel originating in the U.S. and the Caribbean. Changes can be made any time prior to departure.
Basic Economy Award Tickets cannot be changed. However, you may cancel your Basic Economy Award Travel for a cancellation charge of 9,900 miles for domestic travel (within the United States and Canada) and 19,900 miles for international travel. The charge will be deducted from the value of your ticket, and any remaining mileage will be redeposited into your SkyMiles account.
REDEPOSIT OF MILES FOR AWARD TICKETS/MILEAGE UPGRADES
In addition to eliminating change fees for tickets originating in the United States and Canada to anywhere in the world,* we have also eliminated the redeposit fee for Award Tickets and mileage upgrades. There are no change fees for travel within the U.S. (including Puerto Rico and the U.S. Virgin Islands), international travel originating in the U.S. and Canada and travel between the Caribbean and the U.S..* You may redeposit miles any time prior to departure. A redeposit fee of $150 will still apply for Award Tickets and mileage upgrades for travel originating outside of North America.
*Excluding Basic Economy tickets purchased after March 30, 2021, which are non-refundable and non-changeable. However, you may cancel your Basic Economy Award Travel for a cancellation charge of 9,900 miles for domestic travel (within the United States and Canada) and 19,900 miles for international travel. The charge will be deducted from the value of your ticket and any remaining mileage will be redeposited into your SkyMiles account.
The unaccompanied minor program provides an employee escort and amenities for children traveling alone between the ages of 5 to 14; or 15 to 17 with guardian request. For a $150 fee each way, up to 4 children will be supervised by Delta staff as they travel. Focused on safety, the program gives each child a barcoded wristband scanned at each location and children receive access to Delta Sky Zone lounges for unaccompanied minors, where available.
INFANT IN ARMS
Traveling with a child under two years of age? It’s free to hold an infant in your arms or in an FAA-approved travel harness on flights in the U.S. & Canada. For international flights only, it is 10% of the cost of an adult fare.
We know the furry members of your family matter too. That’s why Delta allows small dogs, cats and household birds (limited to the U.S.) to travel with you in the cabin on your flight in an approved carrier for a fee. For our most up to date fees by region, please visit our Pet Travel Options page. Size and other restrictions apply. Travel options and exceptions for service animals, U.S. Military personnel and other special cases are also available.
Direct Ticketing & Fee Updates
We offer a direct ticketing service for customers who wish to purchase their tickets over the phone through Reservation Sales or in person at airports and other ticket office locations. A Direct Ticketing international charge applies to tickets issued in Austria, Belgium, Denmark, Finland, Germany, Ireland, Italy, Luxemburg, Netherlands, Norway, Portugal, Spain, Sweden and the UK. The service is complimentary for all other points of origin.
$25 - $35 USD Round trip for tickets issued in select European countries
This fee will be waived for phone reservations on request.
FREE for all other points of origin.
Most domestic Delta airport locations are designated "cashless stations" and do not accept cash from customers. Customers without an accepted form of payment may elect to purchase a Visa gift pre-paid credit payment card from a kiosk provided by a third-party vendor for a nominal fee.
Please see the list of included airports.