Upgrade With Miles
How to Use Miles
Treat Yourself to Upgrades and More
Your miles aren’t just for flights. You can use them to treat yourself in more ways than one.
Upgrade with Miles (Upgrade While You're Booking)
Fly completely relaxed and comfortable with an upgrade to Delta One®, First Class, Business Class or Delta Comfort+® for nearly all Delta flights within the U.S. 50. It’s easy to upgrade:
- Log in at delta.com
- Select a Main Cabin ticket
- If your reservation is eligible, you’ll see the option to Upgrade with Miles in your Trip Summary before you complete your purchase.
- Once selected, use miles to upgrade all passengers in your reservation
Things to know:
- Upgrade with Miles is only available during an original booking at delta.com.
- You must be logged in and have enough miles in your account to upgrade all passengers in the reservation for all flights in the reservation.
- Your flight must be on a Delta or Delta Connection® carrier with a reservation in the U.S. 50.
- There must be enough available seats to upgrade all passengers in the reservation for all flights in the reservation.
- You’ll earn miles and Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) credit based on the cabin flown and the cash amount of the ticket purchased, excluding taxes and fees.
Frequently Asked Questions
What is the difference between Upgrade with Miles and Mileage Upgrade Awards?
Upgrade with Miles is used while purchasing a ticket. Mileage Upgrade Awards can be used after a ticket has already been purchased. Upgrade with Miles is only available during an original booking at delta.com or with a Reservations Specialist. Upgrade with Miles is based on the difference between the Main Cabin fare selected and the lowest Delta One®, First, Business Class or Delta Comfort+ fare for the itinerary, which is converted into miles. Mileage Upgrade Awards may be redeemed for fixed mileage amounts according to area of travel and are only valid with certain fare classes. The upgrade transaction can be completed up to 24 hours prior to departure and must be booked through a Reservations Specialist. Inventory is limited.
Do I have to be traveling to use Upgrade with Miles?
You may use your miles to upgrade other passengers, even if you are not traveling. However, you must be logged in at delta.com or be an authorized user of the account when purchasing an Upgrade with Miles ticket from a Reservations Specialist.
Will I earn miles for Upgrade with Miles tickets?
Yes, if you purchase an Upgrade with Miles ticket, you will earn mileage credit, MQMs, and Medallion Qualification Segments (MQSs). Medallion Qualification Dollars (MQDs) will be awarded based on the cash amount of the ticket purchased, excluding any taxes and fees. Mileage credit will be earned based on the cash amount of the ticket purchased (base fare and carrier-imposed surcharges remaining and paid in currency after miles are applied to the ticket total). Upgrade with Miles tickets purchased entirely with miles are not eligible for mileage accrual, MQMs, MQSs, or MQDs.
Mileage Upgrade Awards (Upgrade After You've Already Booked)
Use your miles to treat yourself to an upgrade on a purchased ticket from Main Cabin or Delta Comfort+®, to First Class, Delta Premium Select or Delta One®. You can use a Mileage Upgrade Award on most Delta-operated flights and on certain Virgin Atlantic-operated, Air France/KLM-operated, and Aeromexico-operated flights. Not sure who operates your flight? Learn more about this.
How to upgrade:
- Find your trip information
- Contact a SkyMiles Representative
- Share your trip information with the representative, and request to book a Mileage Upgrade Award
- The representative will provide prices and availability
- If your reservation is eligible and you have enough miles in your account, the representative can confirm your upgrade
What regions are eligible:
- Within North America (US, Canada, Mexico, Central America, and the Caribbean) and Northern South America (Ecuador, Colombia, and Venezuela), Mileage Upgrade Awards may be used to upgrade on the following paid fare classes: Y, B, M, H, Q, K, L, U, or T.
- For all other International markets, Mileage Upgrade Awards on Delta-marketed and operated flights may be used to upgrade on the following paid fare classes: Y, B, M, H, Q, or K.
- For flights marketed and/or operated by Air France/KLM, Mileage Upgrade Awards may be used for a one-class upgrade when the paid fare class is Y, B, or M.
- For Air France-operated flights, Mileage Upgrade Awards are available from Economy to Premium Economy to Business only on transatlantic Joint Venture flights between U.S. cities and Paris (CDG and ORY).
- For Delta-marketed flights operated by Virgin Atlantic, Mileage Upgrade Awards are available from Economy to Premium Economy or Upper Class, as well as Premium Economy to Upper Class. Mileage Upgrade Awards are available from Y, B, M, H, Q, and K paid fare classes from Economy Cabin and P, A, and G paid fare classes from Premium Economy.
- For Delta-marketed flights operated by Aeromexico, Mileage Upgrade Awards are available on Delta’s published fare classes in Y, B, M, H, Q, K, L, U or T for travel between the United States and Mexico.
Remember: Mileage Upgrade Awards can only be booked by contacting a SkyMiles representative.
Awards do not apply on all fares. All Awards are subject to availability, and additional taxes and fees may apply. View full terms & conditions.
How do I know if a flight is marketed, operated, or ticketed by Delta or a partner?
- The marketing carrier is determined by the two letter airline code in the flight number. For example, DL2368 is marketed by Delta and VS18 is marketed by Virgin Atlantic.
- Delta-ticketed flights feature ticket numbers that begin with “006”. Any flight purchased through delta.com is ticketed by Delta. Other airlines have their own unique ticket numbers. For example, Virgin Atlantic-ticked flights feature ticket numbers that begin with “932.”
- The operating carrier for a flight indicates which airline flies the plane. For example, a Virgin Atlantic-operated flight means the flight will be on Virgin Atlantic aircraft.
Use Miles for Delta Sky Club Access
Your favorite destination between destinations — find a quiet space to work or relax, enjoy complimentary food and beverages, and even showers* — all in Delta Sky Club. Use your miles to get there.
Choose the option that fits your needs:
- Executive Membership for an annual fee of 70,000 miles
- Unlimited access to Delta Sky Club locations around the world for you and up to two guests per visit
- Individual Membership for an annual fee of 47,000 miles
- Unlimited access to Delta Sky Club locations around the globe; you can bring up to two paid guests at the rate of $29.00 or 2,500 miles per guest per visit
- Single Visit Passes for a one-time fee of 5,000 miles
- Available for purchase in-club at the check-in desk only, based on availability and club capacity
Learn more or purchase a membership. View complete terms & conditions
*Showers available in select locations
Use Miles for Premium Drinks
As you pass the time in a Delta Sky Club, find favorites like an Old Fashioned, Gin Fizz and seasonal selections. Use your miles to treat yourself to a premium drink.
Miles for Products and Services Through Delta Reservations
SkyMiles Members can use their miles instead of money for even more products and services when calling Delta Reservations, giving you more flexibility and options than ever before.
Use your miles for:
- Selecting Preferred Seats (waived for all Medallion Members as part of Medallion Benefits)
- Ticket change fees
- Award Ticket redeposit fees (waived for Diamond and Platinum Medallion Members as part of Medallion Benefits)
- Same-Day Confirmed fees (waived for Diamond, Platinum and Gold Medallion Members as part of Medallion Benefits)
- External ticket charge (applies to all tickets issued in the United States or Canada by someone other than Delta)
To take advantage of these options, contact Delta Reservations at 800-323-2323.
All mileage redemptions listed are nonrefundable. Using the Same-Day Confirmed option is subject to availability and all product terms. Additional terms may apply.