In the event of a death or imminent death (for international travel) in your immediate family, you may have to travel at the last minute. Delta’s Bereavement policy offers additional flexibility on the best published fare for your itinerary when last minute travel is required for these situations. While fares offered under the Bereavement policy vary in price, the additional flexibility may be beneficial to accommodate unexpected changes in your travel plans. This policy, however, can only be applied by calling Delta Reservations (800-221-1212 for domestic or 800-241-4141 for international), and is not available for purchase at delta.com.
Fares offered under Delta’s Bereavement policy are also subject to the following restrictions:
- Tickets under the Bereavement policy are subject to availability and may not be available at time of booking
- Delta’s Bereavement policy provides flexibility to the outbound and/or return portion of your trip by waiving service fees; however, fare differences may still apply
- Lower promotional fares may be available on delta.com or through Delta Reservations and may serve as a better option in some markets
- Additional guidelines and restrictions apply
Visit Delta Cares™opens in a new window for information on professional services that might assist you in a time of need.
Definition of Immediate Family
Under the provisions of the Medical Fare guidelines, “Immediate Family” includes:
- Domestic partner
All spouse related relationships apply to domestic partner.
This program is valid for SkyMiles Members needing to travel due to death or imminent death of an immediate family member. If you are not currently a SkyMiles Member you may enroll immediately to qualify.
The following information is required so that you can purchase a ticket under the Bereavement Policy:
- Deceased person’s name
- Customer's relationship to the deceased
- Name and phone number of funeral home, hospital, or hospice
- Name of doctor (if applicable)
Children and Infants
Children will be ticketed at the same fare as an adult under the Bereavement policy or applicable child's fare, whichever is lower. The first infant without a seat under the age of two is at no charge, the second infant must purchase a seat. There is a two infant maximum per ticketed adult. The infant must be accompanied on all flights in the same compartment by an adult.
Terms & Conditions
Reservations must be ticketed immediately. Tickets must be purchased with travel commencing within seven days of the death or imminent death of the immediate family member. Required documentation is subject to verification.
- Ticketing penalties are waived, however, fare differences may still apply
- International tickets are subject to additional restrictions
- Refunds are permitted only on unrestricted bereavement tickets
Domestic tickets must be purchased — and travel must start — within seven days of the death or imminent death of the immediate family member. Required documentation is subject to verification.
Medallion Complimentary Upgrades and Complimentary Companion Upgrades are permitted on domestic and international bereavement fares and are subject to the applicable terms and conditions of Complimentary Upgrades. Mileage Upgrade Awards and Upgrade Certificates may only be used to upgrade on domestic bereavement fares. Contact Delta Reservations for more details.
Availability and Restrictions:
Note that tickets sold under Delta’s Bereavement policy are only available on Delta marketed/Delta operated and Delta Connection® flights. Other lower, more restrictive fares may be available here on delta.com. Additional restrictions may apply.
Baggage Fees: Standard baggage fees apply and are the responsibility of the passenger.