(JNB) Travel to/from South Africa

Please be advised of the following requirements to fly to/from South Africa:

  • Each passenger is required to have at least one fully blank unused passport page.
  • All minors traveling to or from South Africa are required to show an unabridged birth certificate in addition to their passport when exiting and entering South Africa airport security checkpoints. This Department of Home Affairs requirement applies to children of every nationality whether they are traveling with parents, with an adult other than a parent, or unaccompanied by an adult. Without the correct documents, minors will not be allowed to board their flight.

Documentation requirements include, but are not limited to the following:

  1. In addition to a passport, an original, unabridged, or certified (with seal or stamp) copy of the child’s full birth certificate issued within the last 3 months is required for all trips.
  2. All travel documents must be in English or accompanied by a certified translation.
  3. Exceptions may apply. Details are outlined in the DHA final immigration regulation, opens in a new window section six: Admission and Departure Subsection 10 – 12.
  4. Please note: Travelers who arrive in South Africa without the required documentation can be detained and/or deported immediately.

When a minor is traveling with one parent, additional documentation is required. The parent must show the child’s unabridged birth certificate and one of the following documents:

  1. Consent from the other parent in the form of an affidavit authorizing the traveling parent to enter or depart from the Republic of South Africa with their child. This affidavit must come from the other individual who is registered as a parent on the child’s birth certificate. To view a sample affidavit, please Learn more, opens in a new window.
  2. A court order granting full parental responsibilities and rights of legal guardianship of the child as the parent or legal guardian of the child.
  3. If applicable, a death certificate of the other individual registered as a parent on the child’s birth certificate.
  4. Please visit the Department of Home Affairs website, opens in a new window or consult your nearest South African Mission for more details.