Airports can be intimidating, but they don't have to be. With a little extra planning, you can move through the masses with ease — like those calm, cool and collected frequent travelers.
MAKE AIRPORT SECURITY A BREEZE
The gateway to any adventure, airport security can seem like a daunting milestone to overcome, but we’ve got the tips of the trade to help you breeze right through.
The 411 on 3-1-1
TSA has guidelines around what liquids you can bring in your carry-on. In general, the 3-1-1 rule keeps in you in-the-know with what is acceptable and what you need to check with your bag.
What you need to know:
3 — 3.4-ounce containers or less
1 — Quart-sized plastic-zip bag
1 — One bag per person
Take It or Leave It
When packing your bag, it’s important to know what flies. Here’s a quick list of common items from TSA of what you can bring on-board, what you need to check, and what you should leave at home. For a full view, visit the TSA website.
Bring It On
- Ice skates
- Tennis rackets
- Tools like screwdrivers, wrenches or pliers that are seven inches or less
- Non-flammable liquids, gels, aerosol paints (3.4 ounce container or less)
- Most sports equipment including baseball bats, bows and arrows, golf clubs and ski poles
- Tools like hammers, crowbars, drills or saws that are longer than seven inches
- Self defense items
- Firearms, BB guns and ammunition
Leave It At Home
- Flares and gunpowder
- Aerosols, Fuels, Gasoline, Gas Torches, Lighter Fluid
Speed Through Security
Keep in mind a few things that will help you whiz through your security checkpoint
- Have things out of your pockets
- Separate your laptop from your bag
- Have an acceptable form of identification ready
THE DELTA SKY CLUB®
It’s an age-old question: “What will we DO at the airport while we’re waiting for our plane?” Delta’s solution? The Delta Sky Club. Here, members can plug in to work with free Wi-Fi or simply relax with satellite TV and free snacks and cocktails.
Q. What will help me speed through Customs?
A. Have your boarding pass and your ID ready to hand to the agent and your required travel documents in hand. Declare everything up front.
Q. Is there any way to make this process faster?
A. The Global Entry Program™ is a U.S. Customs and Border program that creates a faster clearance process for travelers who have been pre-approved. Programs like FAST, NEXUS and SENTRI also offer expedited global entry.
Q. What happens if I lose my passport abroad?
A. Get in touch with the closest U.S. embassy or consulate as soon as possible. You should also look into the identity solutions. Always carry a copy of your passport for reference.
Q. What about my prescriptions?
A. Bring only the medication that you will need for the duration of your trip.
PACK YOUR BAGS & HIT THE ROAD
When your plane touches down, you’re ready to grab your bags and hit the road to the next part of your adventure. Follow a few quick tips and you’ll be on your way — lickity split.
Baggage Claim Tips
- Check our handy baggage allowance table to see to see if your bags will fly free or for a fee. You’ll be able to decide whether or not you want to check your bag or carry it on.
- It can help to know where baggage claim is located in the airport where you land. Take a look at airport maps using the Fly Delta app.
- Tie something familiar around the handle of your suitcase so you can easily recognize it.
Ground Transportation & Airport Parking Tips
- See what public transportation services are available in your arrival city.
- Airport maps are a good way to identify where to hail a cab or pick up your rental car. You can access them from the Fly Delta app, so you know where to catch your bus, hail a cab or get to parking lots.
- Daily parking rates vary at each airport, but depending where you are, uncovered parking is a cheaper option for an extended stay.
- See what services your airport offers. If a shuttle is available, it can be easier than lugging your bags all the way to your car.
- Hotels often provide individual shuttle services to and from their grounds. See if your hotel has these services available.