SkyMiles News & Updates
We are committed to delivering the SkyMiles experience you expect and the benefits you've earned. Visit this page regularly to stay informed of the latest program news and changes.
The fastest way through security is now available to U.S.-based SkyMiles members, thanks to Delta’s partnership with CLEAR. CLEAR is the leading U.S. biometric identity platform that utilizes fingerprint and iris identification technology to allow for the most predictable way through the document-check portion of airport security.
Because of your loyalty, SkyMiles now offers member-only rates off of the standard $179 annual membership to CLEAR’s biometric service:
- Diamond Medallion® members: Complimentary
- Platinum, Gold and Silver Medallion members: $79 per year
- General SkyMiles Members: $99 per year
This year, Delta and CLEAR plan to expand airport security line access points to Delta’s U.S. hub airports. More details about CLEAR’s roll-out to Delta’s U.S. hub airports will be announced soon.
To enroll in CLEAR and take advantage of exclusive SkyMiles member-only pricing, visit delta.clearme.com.
All CLEAR terms and conditions apply and are available at clearme.com.
SkyMiles members can now book Award Travel on more partner airlines than ever— 24 total — conveniently from delta.com. To see the most options and best deals on both Delta Air Lines and our partners, view our Award Calendar by selecting “flexible days” when searching for a flight.
Earning miles for your car rental is easier than ever before. You can now book your next rental with more search results on delta.com, which features rich mileage offers from our SkyMiles partners Hertz, Enterprise, Alamo and National, as well as multiple rental options from Dollar and Thrifty.
SkyMiles member benefits include:
Hertz® Car Rental
- General members earn 500 miles per rental
- Gold and Silver Medallion® members earn 1,000 miles per rental
- Diamond and Platinum Medallion members earn 1,250 miles per rental
- For a limited-time, Medallion members earn 300 bonus miles per day and general members earn 200 bonus miles per day
- Enjoy savings of up to 40% on every rental
- Qualifying Medallion members will enjoy status in Hertz Gold Plus Rewards® program when they follow these simple steps
- Diamond and Platinum Medallion members will receive President’s Circle® status
- Gold Medallion members will receive Five Star® status
Enterprise Rent-A-Car®, Alamo Rent A Car® and National Car Rental®
- Earn 500 miles per rental
- For a limited-time, earn an additional 200 bonus miles per rental day
- Enjoy additional savings off everyday low rates
- SkyMiles is proud to be the exclusive mileage earning partner for Enterprise.
Get the latest Fly Delta app today and experience new features, including access to your digital SkyMiles and Delta Sky Club® membership cards — anytime, anyplace.
To find and use your digital cards, check out “My Wallet” in the “My Delta” section of the Fly Delta app for iPhone® and Android™. Plus, if you’re using an iPhone, you can send your SkyMiles or Delta Sky Club card to Passbook® for even easier access.
Visit our Mobile Apps page for more information and to download the latest Fly Delta app.
Crossover Rewards™ with the Delta SkyMiles and Starwood Preferred Guest® (SPG®) programs allow you to earn even greater rewards when you travel.
Medallion® members can earn miles for eligible stays at Starwood hotels and resorts and SPG elite members can earn Starpoints® for eligible flights with Delta. All in addition to the benefits available in both programs.
Enjoy These Perks When You Stay:
- Medallion members can earn one bonus mile per every dollar spent on eligible room rates at over 1,100 Starwood hotels and resorts in the SPG program.
- Diamond and Platinum Medallion members can enjoy SPG benefits like access to the elite check-in line, 4pm late checkout, complimentary in-room Internet access, and more.
Enjoy These Perks When You Fly:
- SPG Platinum and Gold elite members can earn one Starpoint for every dollar spent on eligible Delta flights.
- SPG Platinum members can receive their first checked bag free, Priority Check-In, Priority Boarding and Unlimited Complimentary Upgrades.
Start maximizing your rewards now. LEARN MORE.
To see complete Terms and Conditions, please visit delta.com/crossoverrewards.
As a reminder, Medallion members must opt in to request a Complimentary Upgrade to Delta Comfort+ now that Delta Comfort+ is a booking option, like Main Cabin or First Class. This applies to:
- all flights within the U.S. 50 and Canada
- flights within select Asia Pacific markets and select Latin America / Caribbean regions departing on or after September 19, 2016
For flights within Latin America / Caribbean markets serviced with our Delta One™ product and select Asia Pacific markets, including China and Hong Kong, and other markets such as translatlantic flights, Medallion members will continue to upgrade to Delta Comfort+ via the seat map.
HERE’S HOW TO OPT-IN TO REQUEST YOUR DELTA COMFORT+ UPGRADE:
OPT IN AT BOOKING:
1. Log in at delta.com, then select a Main Cabin ticket and proceed with booking.
2. On the Passenger Information Screen, look for the REQUEST UPGRADE section.
If you keep a stored method of payment in your profile, you will bypass the Passenger Information screen to Express Checkout. Return to the Passenger Information screen by clicking “EDIT PASSENGER INFO.”
3. Check the box to request a Complimentary Delta Comfort+ Upgrade.
All seats in Delta Comfort+ are part of our premium experience. Aisle, middle or window seats will be assigned based on availability.
ALREADY BOOKED? YOU CAN STILL REQUEST AN UPGRADE.
1. Locate reservation in My Trips
2. Request Complimentary Delta Comfort+ Upgrade.
You can also request an upgrade at check-in.
If a Complimentary Delta Comfort+ Upgrade is available, Medallion members will be notified:
- Diamond and Platinum Medallion members, directly after requesting an upgrade.
- Gold Medallion members, 72 hours before departure.
- Silver Medallion members, 24 hours before departure.
WHAT TO KNOW ONCE YOU’VE REQUESTED AN UPGRADE:
- If you have selected upgrade eligibility for both First Class and Delta Comfort+, you will be upgraded to the most premium option available. If you’re upgraded to Delta Comfort+, you’ll still be on standby for First Class upgrades.
- If no upgrades to Delta Comfort+ are available, you’ll be placed on standby for an upgrade. You may view your spot on the standby list in My Trips or in the Fly Delta App upon check-in.
- Following an upgrade, you can always select another available seat in the same class of service via the seat map. Once upgraded to Delta Comfort+, you will not be able to revert back to your Main Cabin seat via the seat map.
- Medallion members will continue to enjoy access to Complimentary Upgrades to Delta Comfort+ while maintaining the same clearance priority.
TRAVELING WITH ONE COMPANION:
You will both be eligible for a Delta Comfort+ upgrade as long as the companion is a SkyMiles member. The upgrade window for both members is based on the member with the lowest tier. For general SkyMiles members in a reservation with a Medallion member, upgrades will be available no more than 24 hours prior to departure.
And starting this fall, Medallion members traveling with one companion will clear for Complimentary Upgrades based on the status of the higher-tiered member. Official start date to be announced this summer.
TRAVELING WITH TWO OR MORE COMPANIONS:
All members in the reservation must have Medallion status in order for any members to be eligible for upgrades to Delta Comfort+.
DELTA SKYMILES CREDIT CARD MEMBERS WITH COMPANION CERTIFICATES:
Please note, neither the paid primary passenger nor the companion passenger will be eligible for Unlimited Complimentary Delta Comfort+ Upgrades, regardless of Medallion status.
SET UPGRADE PREFERENCES
OPT IN ONCE TO REQUEST UPGRADES FOR EVERY FLIGHT
You can set your Upgrade Request preferences for both Delta Comfort+ and First Class within your profile. They will be the default for all flights booked. But even with default settings, you can still opt in or out of Complimentary Upgrades for any individual reservation during booking or in “My Trips.”
Visit My Profile
Go to Flight Preferences
Update Upgrade Requests
More questions? Visit Complimentary Comfort+ Upgrades.
Coming This Fall: Complimentary Upgrade Improvements for Medallion Members Traveling with a Companion
We recently surveyed our Medallion members about our companion policy for Complimentary Upgrades, and a majority of you voted that Medallion members traveling with a companion should clear for Complimentary Upgrades based on the higher of the two status levels.
So, we’re investing in making things better. Starting this fall, Medallion members traveling with one companion will clear for Complimentary Upgrades to both First Class and Delta Comfort+™ based on the status of the higher-tiered member. Diamond and Silver traveling together? Your upgrade will clear at the Diamond level, when available.
It’s one of the many ways we’re striving to offer the best elite travel experience for our most loyal members. Be on the lookout for more details and the official start date for these changes that will be announced this summer.
Learn more about Medallion Complimentary Upgrades.
For flights departing on or after April 30, 2016, we have simplified the clearance priority for Complimentary Upgrades as we strive to offer the best elite travel experience for our members. This new upgrade process better recognizes the loyalty of our Medallion members, SkyMiles Credit Card from American Express Card Members and Delta Corporate Travelers. Delta Corporate Travelers include passengers traveling on a ticket that includes their eligible employer’s Corporate Ticket Designator.
- Medallion level is the most important factor in upgrade clearance priority, starting with Diamond Medallion members, then Platinum, Gold and Silver.
- Members at the same Medallion level will be cleared in order of fare class families for revenue tickets, Award Tickets and Pay with Miles1 tickets, with higher fare classes among all ticket types holding higher priority.
- Partner airline elite members and SPG® Platinum Preferred members will be eligible for day-of-departure upgrades only.
- Y class fares will no longer be upgraded at booking.
Rewarding your loyalty:
- Delta Reserve Credit Card Members will still have a higher prioritization within their Medallion group for upgrades.2
- Delta Corporate Travelers3 will now have a higher prioritization within their Medallion group for upgrades.
- If all else is equal, Card Members who earned the Medallion Qualification Dollars (MQDs) Waiver by spending at least $25,000 in the current calendar year on their Delta SkyMiles Credit Card from American Express will enjoy higher priority.
- Date and time of upgrade request will be used as a tie-breaker.
1All Pay with Miles terms and conditions apply. To review the rules, visit Pay with Miles.
2Upgrade Priority within the same Medallion tier and fare class family is applicable only to Basic Card Members.
3To be eligible for the Corporate Upgrade benefit, Corporate Travelers must be SkyMiles Medallion members and traveling on a ticket that includes their employer’s eligible Corporate Ticket Designator.
Medallion Complimentary Upgrades are subject to availability and may not be available on all flights or in all markets.
New this year: drink vouchers are now digital. Vouchers are conveniently stored under “My Wallet” in the Fly Delta app, or you can find them at delta.com, where you can print them.
To access vouchers before a flight: Open the Fly Delta app on your phone before putting it into airplane mode prior to takeoff. As long as you don’t close out of the app you will still be able to view your drink vouchers.
To access vouchers while in flight: Connect to Gogo Wi-Fi and open the Fly Delta app on your phone. You may enjoy free access to the Fly Delta app while in flight.
For more information, please visit delta.com/medallionterms.
2015 Rollover Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) will begin posting the week of January 11, 2016. Please allow 1-2 weeks for Rollover Medallion Qualification Miles to post to your SkyMiles account. For more information please visit delta.com/medallionterms.
Starting July 21, 2015, Platinum and Diamond Medallion members can use Regional Upgrade Certificates, in addition to Global Upgrade Certificates, to move up to a seat in Delta One™ on transcontinental flights between John F. Kennedy International Airport (JFK) and Los Angeles International Airport (LAX) or San Francisco International Airport (SFO).
- Regional Upgrade Certificates are one of the Choice Benefits options offered to Diamond and Platinum Medallion members. To obtain Regional or Global Upgrade Certificates for upgrade on a transcontinental or any other eligible flight, you must first select Upgrade Certificates as your Choice Benefit. For more information about Choice Benefits, visit delta.com/choicebenefits.
- To use your certificate to request an upgrade, contact Reservations.
- If a Delta One seat is not available at the time of your request, you can waitlist for an available seat. And don’t worry: if you aren’t upgraded, you will keep your Upgrade Certificate to use at another time.
The Medallion year traditionally begins March 1 each year to allow time for Medallion membership packages to be delivered. With the streamlined production of membership packages and the availability of digital SkyMiles and Medallion cards in the Fly Delta app, we are able to begin the Medallion year earlier. Starting in 2016, the Medallion year will begin February 1 and subsequently, the 2015 Medallion year will end on January 31, 2016.
Beginning June 22, 2016 for flights on or after August 24, 2016, Air France and KLM Royal Dutch Airlines are introducing a new system for reserving Economy seats in select markets, including transatlantic flights. Customers may now select their seat prior to the check-in window as a paid option. Complimentary seat selection will remain available within the check-in window, which opens 24 hours before departure time.
The seat selection fee will be waived for SkyMiles Medallion members and their companions traveling within the same reservation.
All SkyMiles members who do not have Medallion status will be able to select seats on Air France- and KLM-operated flights through delta.com as a paid option prior to check-in.
Beginning April 1, 2016, SkyMiles Diamond Medallion members can now use Global Upgrade Certificates for all fare classes (excluding Basic Economy (E)) on all KLM-operated flights that are marketed by Delta Air Lines. In addition, Global Upgrade Certificates will be available for use during the check-in process for all flights leaving from Amsterdam. The changes are designed to provide greater choice to our Diamond Medallion members across our partner network and greater access into KLM’s new World Business Class product. Onboard amenities of the cabin include:
- 180-degree seat recline
- Private seat canopy
- Meals prepared by Dutch three-star chef Jacob Jan Boerma
KLM currently offers service to Amsterdam from seven US cities (with Salt Lake City starting this May) and five Canadian cities. In addition, Global Upgrade Certificates can be used for KLM connecting flights from Amsterdam to Africa, Middle East, Asia, or any market with a World Business Class cabin.* With the exception of flights departing Amsterdam, Medallion members must contact a Delta reservations agent directly to apply the certificates for travel, and upgrades will remain subject to availability. For more information, please see Upgrade Certificates.
*Not all KLM-operated flights feature the new World Business Class product. Global Upgrade Certificates are still usable for any variation of KLM’s World Business Class product.
For travel as of February 1, 2016, SkyMiles members traveling on transatlantic flights operated by KLM Royal Dutch Airways and KLM Cityhopper, and ticketed by KLM (under the 074 ticket code) will earn miles and MQDs based on ticket price. This change is designed to provide greater value and consistency to our members when traveling with our partner airlines. SkyMiles members should allow at least three days for mileage to be posted. For more information, please see earn miles with KLM Royal Dutch Airlines.
Beginning September 10, 2014, Medallion members will enjoy complimentary checked baggage on flights with our partner Virgin Australia.
Diamond, Platinum and Gold Medallion members also will continue to enjoy the following benefits on Virgin Australia flights:
- Priority Check-In and Priority Boarding
- Priority security line access
- Complimentary lounge access*
- Priority baggage handling
And Silver Medallion members will continue to enjoy Priority Check-In on international flights and Priority Boarding on international long-haul flights with Virgin Australia.
In addition to these elite benefits, all SkyMiles members will continue to earn miles and Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) on Virgin Australia flights. Plus, members can continue to redeem miles for Virgin Australia flights.
†Complimentary checked baggage allowances for Diamond and Platinum Medallion members will be equivalent to a Velocity Platinum member. Allowances for Gold and Silver Medallion members will be equivalent to Gold and Silver Velocity members. Fees may apply for overweight and oversized baggage. Please visit Virgin Australiaopens in a new window for more details on baggage policy.
*Lounge access is available with a same-day boarding pass for international travel.
Please travel with and be prepared to show your Medallion card to the Virgin Australia representative to receive these benefits.
Diamond, Platinum and Gold Medallion members now enjoy complimentary GOL+ Conforto seats on shuttle flights between São Paulo (CGH) and Rio de Janeiro (SDU) central airports.* These premium Main Cabin seats feature more legroom, 50% more recline, and a blocked middle seat for added privacy.
Additionally, Diamond, Platinum and Gold Medallion members may continue to take advantage of the following elite benefits when flying GOL:
- Complimentary Preferred Seats**
- Baggage fee waivers**
- Priority Check-in and Boarding
- Ability to earn Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs)
- Mileage earning and redemption opportunities with GOL
- Complimentary GOL lounge access at São Paulo (GRU) and Rio de Janeiro (GIG) with a same-day boarding pass
**Preferred Seat selection and baggage fee waivers may be requested at the GOL check-in counter. Be sure to provide your SkyMiles number when booking your flight at delta.com, through a Delta Reservations Specialist, or through a GOL agent to enjoy these benefits.
Enjoy the best U.S. to U.K. travel experience through our new partnership with Virgin Atlantic. Book Virgin Atlantic flights directly at delta.com. Fly with Delta and Virgin Atlantic to take advantage of more flight choices, premium onboard amenities and added loyalty perks, including:
More Options to London
- 7 daily, nonstop flights from New York-JFK and 2 daily flights from Newark
- An expanded network, featuring 30 round-trip flights between North America and the U.K.
- Nonstop service to London from Atlanta, Boston, Chicago, Detroit, Las Vegas, Los Angeles, Miami, Minneapolis, Orlando, San Francisco, Vancouver and Washington, DC
- Nonstop service to the U.S. from Heathrow, Gatwick, Manchester and Glasgow
Exclusive Clubhouse Access
- Complimentary access to the award-winning and luxurious Virgin Atlantic Clubhousesopens in a new window* for Delta One™ or Upper Class passengers and Diamond or Platinum Medallion® members traveling on Delta- or Virgin Atlantic-operated transatlantic flights
- The ability to earn and use miles with Virgin Atlantic
- Diamond, Platinum and Gold Medallion member benefits, including Priority Boarding, Check-In, Security** and Baggage, plus baggage fee waivers when flying Virgin Atlantic
Luxury On Board
- 180° flat-bed seats with direct-aisle access and in-seat power in Delta One™ or Upper Class
- Personal on-demand entertainment at every seat, on all flights between the U.S. and U.K.
Learn more about the new best-in-the-business travel benefits you now enjoy as great minds fly alike.