Delta Air Lines intends to ensure that your air travel experience will encompass, to the best of our abilities, the most comprehensive customer service possible. We have outlined our responsibilities and how we will fulfill them in 12-key points, known as our Customer Commitment.
Note: The Delta Air Lines Customer Commitment applies to our covered flights operating to, from, or within the U.S., and includes:
1. Offering the lowest fare available
We will disclose on our website, at the ticket counter, or when you call our reservation center to inquire about a fare or make a reservation, that the lowest fare offered by Delta to the general public for the itinerary you have requested may be available elsewhere, if that is the case.
2. Notifying consumers of known delays, cancellations, and diversions
We will provide full and timely information on the status of known delays, cancellations, and diversions within 30 minutes of Delta becoming aware of the change in the status of the flight:
- By making announcements in the boarding gate area and through the use of Gate Information Display screens (GIDS) where available.
- Through Flight Information Display screens (FIDS) where available.
- Through a toll-free telephone number (800-325-1999).
- Upon request, through our telephone reservation system (800-221-1212).
- On delta.com at Flight Status & Updates.
- Through Delta Messenger flight notification subscription service.
3. Delivering baggage on time
It is our intention to deliver your baggage on time; however, in the event that this does not occur, we will make every reasonable effort to return misplaced baggage within 24 hours. We will compensate you for reasonable expenses that result due to a delay in delivery for domestic flights, and as required by applicable international agreements for international flights. If we cannot locate your bag within 21 days it will be considered lost, and we will reimburse you for any fee charged to transport your bag.
Notify a Delta employee at the airport if you cannot locate your baggage. To check on the progress of your bag search, call 800-325-8224 or go to Delayed, Lost, or Damaged Baggage on delta.com and use the Track Checked Baggage tool.
4. Risk Free Cancellation, allowing reservations to be cancelled without penalty for 24-hours after the reservation is made.
Even if you buy a non-refundable ticket from Delta, we will give you time to compare our fares with those of other airlines (valid for travel originating in the United States, U.S. Virgin Islands, Puerto Rico, and Canada). You may cancel and refund your ticket in full until midnight, one day after the reservation is made. For example, a ticket purchased anytime on Monday can be cancelled and refunded until midnight on Tuesday. If the reservation is made on the date of travel, you may cancel and refund your paid ticket in full until midnight that day.
5. Providing ticket refunds within 7 days for credit card purchases, and within 20 business days for cash or check purchases
We will issue refunds for eligible domestic and international tickets within seven business days after receiving a complete refund request for credit card purchases, and within 20 business days after receiving a complete refund request for purchases made by cash or check, including any fees for optional services if you were unable to use the services due to an oversale situation or flight cancellation.
For refund assistance:
- Go to Applying for a Refund on delta.com for online refund information.
- Requests for refunds may be submitted to any Delta ticketing location or your travel agent.
- Refunds for electronic tickets may be requested by calling Reservations Sales at 800-221-1212.
- For questions on how to apply for a refund or check status on a refund request, call 800-847-0578 or 404-715-5417 8:00am-5:00pm EST.
6. Properly accommodating passengers with disabilities and children traveling alone including during tarmac delays
Passengers with Disabilities
Accommodating the special needs of passengers with disabilities is a top priority for Delta. We offer a variety of special services to such passengers, including:
- Transportation to, from, and between gates, either by wheelchair or, in several locations, electric cart.
- Enplaning and deplaning assistance.
- Assistance with visual, auditory, cognitive, or mobility impairments while in the airport and on the aircraft.
- Accommodation for certain medical requirements, such as use of an approved Portable Oxygen Concentrator, or dietary needs, with proper notice, by calling 800-221-1212.
- Consideration of your needs during extended tarmac delays.
- Additional information may be found on delta.com at Services for Travelers with Disabilities.
To ensure the high quality of these services and protection of customer rights, we designate Complaint Resolution Officials (CROs) in all airports who are responsible for ensuring services are properly implemented for our customers with disabilities. You may request a CRO by contacting a Delta agent.
Children Traveling Alone
- We provide detailed information on delta.com at Children Traveling Alone or by calling 800-221-1212 to parents with children ages 5 through 14 who will be traveling alone. We are also happy to provide this service to children ages 15 through 17 traveling alone. Fees apply for unaccompanied minor service.
- Our policies support the safety and well being of children traveling alone, ensuring your child is comfortable during his or her flight and that he or she follows all onboard crew direction, including instructions on safety procedures and behavior. Further, we will not release a minor traveling alone to anyone other than the person you have designated.
7. Meeting customers’ essential needs during lengthy tarmac delays as required by regulation and our contingency plan
We will provide full and timely information regarding the status of a flight if there is an extreme delay after you have boarded or after the plane has landed. If safety and security conditions allow, we will provide for your essential needs such as food, potable water, operable lavatory facilities, and access to medical treatment. For further information, see Delta's Contingency Plan for Lengthy Tarmac Delays on delta.com.
8. Handling "bumped" passengers with fairness and consistency in the case of an oversold flight
Because passengers with confirmed reservations on a flight frequently fail to show, we are permitted by federal regulations to sell more tickets for travel than there are seats on the aircraft to reduce the number of empty seats on our flights. In rare cases, this may result in an “oversold flight,” in which we cannot accommodate one or more passengers with confirmed reservations. When this happens, we will comply with all applicable regulations for handling the flight. Our policies and procedures for treating you with fairness and consistency include:
- Providing information at airports, including our boarding priority rules, about our policies and procedures for handling situations when all ticketed customers cannot be accommodated on a flight.
- Notifying you of required check-in times through our reservations phone line and at Traveling & Check-in.
- Letting you know, upon your request, if your flight is overbooked through Reservations Sales or our airport customer service representatives.
- Requesting volunteers for denied boarding before using any other boarding priority. If there are not enough volunteers, we will deny boarding according to our boarding priority rules.
- Offering a transportation credit if you voluntarily give up your seat. These transportation credits can be used toward the purchase of another Delta ticket to the destination of your choice. Transportation credits are redeemable within one year on delta.com.
- Providing notice explaining our obligations and the compensation you will receive if you are involuntarily denied boarding.
- Rebooking you on the first available Delta flight to your ticketed destination if you are involuntarily denied boarding.
- Providing meal allowances and hotel accommodations at Delta-contracted facilities, if you are away from your home and are involuntarily bumped from a flight and we are unable to accommodate you on an alternative flight on the same travel day. If hotel accommodations are unavailable, we will compensate you with a transportation credit commensurate in value with the contracted hotel rate up to $100.
9. Disclosing cancellation policies, frequent flyer rules, aircraft seating configuration, and lavatory availability on delta.com and upon request, by calling Reservation Sales
We will provide you with timely and complete information on delta.com or, upon request, by calling 800-221-1212. Information on delta.com is available by following the links below:
10. Notifying you in a timely manner of changes in your travel itinerary
We will attempt to contact you, via contact information provided in your reservation, about changes in your travel itinerary when the event is known at least one hour before departure. You may sign up for this notification service through Delta Messenger flight notifications.
11. Ensuring responsiveness to customer complaints
We will acknowledge receipt of written customer complaints within 30 days of their receipt, and will send a substantive response within 60 days of receiving the complaint. For information about filing a complaint, go to Contact Us.
12. Identifying the services Delta provides to mitigate passenger inconveniences resulting from cancellations and misconnects
In order to mitigate inconveniences due to a delay, cancellation, or irregular operation:
- We will automatically rebook you on the next available flight and will make every reasonable effort to reroute your checked baggage on the same flight as you.
- If you are onboard a Wi-Fi enabled aircraft, you can access delta.com free of charge to check arrival and departure gates, as well as rebooking options, prior to landing.
- Upon landing, the flight crew will advise when the use of cell phones is permitted. At that time, you can call 800-325-1999 for connecting-flight status (U.S./Canada originations only).
- You can scan your boarding pass at any available Delta scanner to print your rebooking information and meal or hotel vouchers (when applicable).
- We will provide meal allowances and hotel accommodations at Delta contracted facilities, based on availability, if you are inconvenienced overnight while away from your home or destination due to a delay, misconnect or cancellation within Delta's control. If accommodations are unavailable, we will compensate you with a transportation credit commensurate in value with the contracted hotel rate up to $100.
Last updated: December 14, 2012