Travel Document Requirements

Travel documents are an important part of international travel. When planning international travel, please ensure that your customers are in possession of all required documents for both outbound and return flights.

On October 1, 2007, the U.S. Department of Homeland Security put into effect the Western Hemisphere Travel Initiative (WHTI) which requires ALL airline passengers on an international flight to hold a valid WHTI-compliant travel document (in addition to any other required documentation) to enter or depart the United States by air (WHTI). A WHTI-compliant travel document is any one of the following: a passport, a U.S. permanent resident card, a Refugee or Stateless travel document, a U.S. Re-Entry Permit, NEXUS card, U.S. Merchant Mariner Card, U.S. Military ID with orders , or an emergency travel document issued by an embassy or consulate.

As documentation and entry requirements vary based upon the countries included in your travel, we highly recommend that you check the entry requirements for each country. Many countries also require that a passport be valid at least 6 months or longer beyond the final date of travel.

Advanced Passenger Information (API)


U.S. Aviation and Transportation Security Act

To enhance border security, electronic transmission of passenger information through the Advanced Passenger Information (API) system has been mandated with the U.S. Aviation and Transportation Security Act. All passengers entering/departing the U.S. by air are required to have this information transmitted to U.S. Customs and Border Protection (CBP), allowing U.S. CBP to review all passenger data in advance of the flight's arrival. All international flights arriving and departing the U.S. are required by law to provide API data. API data is also transmitted to Customs and Immigration Officials in all other countries when required by law.

U.S. Entry/Exit Requirements For Non-U.S. Citizens

  • U.S.-Visit Entry Program, Department of Homeland Security
  • Machine Readable Passport Requirements for Travelers to the U.S.
  • Countries Eligible for U.S. Visa Waiver Program

Electronic System for Travel Authorization (ESTA) for Visa Waiver Program Travelers

  • Effective March 20, 2010, for travel to or connecting through the U.S., the U.S. Department of Homeland Security (DHS) will require all Visa Waiver Program (VWP) nationals to obtain an electronic travel authorization prior to boarding. This new authorization is known as the Electronic System for Travel Authorization, or ESTA.

Passport Requirements for Western Hemisphere Travel

  • Travel within the Western Hemisphere (including U.S./Canada/Mexico/Caribbean)

New Immigration Procedures for Entry to Japan

  • Effective November 20, 2007 for all foreign nationals who apply for entry into Japan, including overnight transit passengers and airline crew members.

Other Useful Links

Additional International Travel Information


(Including Hotel Brand, Search Radius, & Star Ratings)
Best Price Guarantee
Book on and EARN MILES!*
*Terms Apply

(Including Discount & Loyalty Programs)
Book on and EARN MILES!*
*Terms Apply
  • Please enter your 6 digit alphanumeric confirmation number.
  • Please enter your 13 or 14 digit eTicketNumber.
  • Please enter your 10 digit SkyMiles number.
  • Please enter your 10-16 digit credit card number.
  • Please enter your Last Name on the credit card.
  • Please enter your 3 digit city code or airport name.
i'm content

 Find Answers

Did you find the information you were looking for?

We're here to help

Didn't find the information you need? Get in touch with someone who can help you directly.

 Send us an email

 Give us a call


 Write to Us

Send us an email to tell us what you need help with. We'll get back to you as soon as we can.

Send an email >

 Talk to Us

 Let's Tweet

We're on Twitter to help you however we can. Tweet us for assistance, tips or updates.

For Customer Service:

For ideas, inspiration, or just to say hi: