Standard Claims Process
The Value to Delta
- Damaged shipments cost Delta money on duplicative transportation and material ordering. Filing a claim is a mechanism to recoup some of the loss to Delta.
- Damage Claims industry average is .5-1.5% of all shipments
- Corresponds to ~$4.8M of goods damaged per year
- The damage loss goes directly to the bottom line for your department and a claim reimbursement is a way to help offset that additional cost.
- While all Delta providers have a strong performance record, given the volume, unfortunately damages will still occur.
- Complete the following items.
- Include as much supporting documentation as possible.
- Inspect shipments upon receipt. If damage is found, reject shipment.
- Failure to do so can waive carrier responsibility.
- Collect supporting documentation and include with claim submission
- Bold items are mandatory for all shipments
- Claims are automatically denied if no or insufficient documentation is provided.
- Notify shipper
- Set aside shipment for inspection by carrier.
All business units:
- Freight Claim Solution Overview (PDF)
- Send to Delta Claims contact (see claims contact page)
- Completed Claims.xlsx fileopens in a new window
- Supporting documentation
All other departments:
- File claim with carrier at earliest opportunity (within 3 business days)
- Notify and send completed Claims.xlsx file to SCMLogistics:
- Follow up with carrier two weeks after claim was filed.
- Many carriers deny claims outright, so you must follow up.